Thursday 24 November 2011

Set of coffee tables

These tables were a cheap set my parents had bought for their sitting room when I was a child. When they decided to redecorated they bought new furniture to fit in with the new décor but my mum insisted on keeping the old tables just in case my self or my siblings would need them even after I kept telling her to throw them on the fire!

Set of rehashed coffee tables.
Famous last words! A couple of years ago I found the dismantle set in my parents storage room and decided to up-cycle them (much to my mums amusement!). I’d always hated the original reddish brown varnish so it was really satisfying to get rid of it and discover what was underneath. 

There was a lovely simple pattern on the surface of the table top that I didn’t want to cover so I decided just to paint the legs and under the table tops in my favourite Rosewood varnish so that they would match up with my other furniture.



To add to the plain table top I designed a pattern that would work around the original wood pattern and produced it by using a burning pen that created a deep brown colour to match the rosewood varnish. To then finish and protect the top surface of the table, a couple of coats of clear varnish were painted on. 



When I look at this table set, it just reminds me of how insistent my mother was and how I should have listened to her in the first place! Plus if I ever want to change the burnt on pattern, it can be easily sanded back to make way for a new design or I could cover it up with a patterned fabric or paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment