Friday 16 September 2011

Getting into rehashing

Part 1


As a child this chair belonged to my brother but over the years it has come into my possession. While using it to work at my desk I noticed that the original white paint was starting to flake away and couldn't help but start chipping it off myself. Before I knew it there were flakes all over the floor and enough was enough something had to be done. I decided that I could rehash it to my own taste and started the long process of removing the paint with varnish remover, followed by lots of scraping and sanding. Once the chair was ready for its new cover I chose to go with B&Q's Quick Dry Rosewood Varnish. I love this shade of brown, it actually reminds me of dark chocolate and it does actually smell a bit like chocolate too! It took about 8 coats to get a solid colour so I was grateful that I had chosen quick drying varnish otherwise it would have taken even longer to finish! I would like to add that the bottom half of the chair legs had originally been painted white again (an idea I had seen in a magazine!) but after one of my sisters remarked about them looking like Mikado chocolate sticks I decided to change them to completely brown!

No comments:

Post a Comment