Friday 30 September 2011

Bright Ideas


Marbled lamps.

These lamps originally belonged to my paternal grandparents. The marbled bases had always caught my eye but the lampshades and light bulb holders were making them look really old and tired so I decided with a little love and care I would give the lamps their sparkle back.  

The first thing I did was to get rid of the lampshades which were falling to bits and then separate the parts of each lamp and give them a good clean. The green and silver lamp (pictured in front) was taller than the white one but I wanted them both to be about the same height so I decided to take a section out and trim the inside tubing to the appropriate height. The wiring was also really old and I felt, for safety reasons, it was better to replace it with brand new light bulb holders and cabling. I chose the silver light bulb holders as felt they were more in keeping with the style and colour of the lamps. The only thing left now to get are the lampshades but I won't get any until I have found the right place for them and when I do I will be able choose ones that coordinate with the rest of the decor. 

The lamps might not be exactly the same shape but because they are both pretty much made from the same materials and have similar colours they can work as a pair and still be equally individual which I quite like (and I normally like pairs to completely match!)        

No comments:

Post a Comment