Tuesday 18 October 2011

A thousand origami cranes (Senbazuru)

In Japan the crane is a mystical creature and is said to live for a thousand years. The legend states that if you make a thousand cranes your wish will be granted and if you have a Senbazuru in your home it is thought to be powerfully lucky and be a benevolent charm. In my case I only have forty six cranes and a considerable way to go before getting anywhere near a thousand!

I love these paper birds and not just for the legend but because they are a great way to display all the various patterned paper I have collected over the years.

Origami cranes 


They also make lovely table decorations and can be given as a good luck gift to dinner guests or just as a memento from a special occasion.

Table decorations


Only another nine hundred and fifty four origami cranes needed before I can get my wish granted!

No comments:

Post a Comment