Thursday 20 October 2011

Table Leg Napkin Rings


Wooden Table Leg Napkin Rings.

These napkin rings originally came from the bottom of the legs of a rectangular wooden garden table that my parents had bought for their newly landscaped patio. And why were the table legs trimmed you ask? Well my parents decided that if all the family turned up then they would need to be able to extend the table. So why not buy another one you say? Unfortunately there wasn't another one in the store but my parents already had some square plastic tables (the legs could be dismantled for storage), so my dad decided that these could be placed next to the table as an extension. One problem, the plastic tables were slightly smaller (height wise) than the wooden table. The solution? Trim the legs of the wooden table to match the plastic ones. Not an easy job for anybody but my Dad did a brilliant job getting all the legs the right length, he clearly remembered what my Grandfather had taught him about always measuring twice and cutting once! I remember my Mum saying she was slightly worried that they might end up with a Japanese style table but clearly she had no need to worry! The tables have worked really well together especially on those rare occasions when there has been decent weather and my parents have been able to have family and friends around for a barbecue.

Wooden Table Leg Napkin Rings in use.

My Mum had kept the cut off ends (probably intending to burn them on their coal fire) and when I found them I knew straight away what they could be used for. My Dad had done such a good job in cutting the ends off (managing to get each one the same size) that I could instantly imagine them being used as napkin rings at a dining table. All they needed was a bit of a sand down and then a lick of varnish to finish them off. Its no surprise that I painted them in my favorite Rosewood varnish but I do like this shade of brown especially with the blue napkins and table cloth (pictured), I think the blue works well with the brown.

I can't imagine that there are many people (if any) who can say that they have napkin rings made from a table's legs. It's certainly very individual and makes a great story when people ask where they have come from and if I ever get bored with them (which I doubt!) at least I know I can recycle them!  

No comments:

Post a Comment