Monday 24 October 2011

Wicker Box Stool

After being up-cycled. 
This wicker box was originally being used in my parents very dated bathroom but a few years ago they decided that really the old tatty avocado suite needed to go and be replaced by a more modern white one. So it was out with the old including this wicker box which was also looking very tatty (picture below) and in with the new. I could still see some potential in the stool and I knew I could give it a new lease of life with a little bit of work (plus I knew I would get it for free!) .

Before being up-cycled.
The first thing I did was dismantle the stool lid by taking off the dated and tatty fabric and whatever was left of the cushioning. I then unscrewed the legs before I painted the outside and inside of the main part of the box (I did the legs too while I was at it!) in my usual Rosewood varnish making sure at least 6 coats went on to insure a solid colour. The bottom of the box and under the lid had a coat of white paint to freshen them up before I put a new thick foam cushion on top of the lid. I then covered the foam by using part of a grey woolly cardigan that I had found cheap in a charity shop and attached it by stapling the edges to the bottom side of the lid. For the moment I have kept the legs unattached but if I feel I would like the stool to be higher then I can easily screw them back on (its nice to have the option!).

The stool's new lease of life is now as a place to store my winter accessories like my scarves, gloves and hats etc with the idea that I can place it under my coat rack in the hallway so when I need to get ready to go outside I can access what I need there and then as well as being able to sit down when I'm putting my shoes on. I like the grey woolly cushion cover with the deep brown base as I feel it gives a very natural cosy and warm feeling to the stool which is a style I'm very fond of.

No comments:

Post a Comment