Wednesday 19 October 2011

White Stuff in Nottingham

A couple of weeks ago I had the pleasure of being taken to White Stuff in Nottingham and from the moment I walked into the store I fell in love with it.

White stuff nottm
White Stuff Shop
Front Nottingham.

The interior decor just blew me away. I love the creative use of old items that may well have previously been forgotten about but now have been given a new lease of life. There are things like the use of old Beano magazine pages that have been turned into a wall covering, an old playground roundabout and a piano being used as clothing display units plus a mixture of what must be reclaimed tiles on the risers (the back) of the stairs.

The changing room design upstairs really stood out to me, I like how each individual changing room has a different traditional house door (reclaimed?) at the front of it that gives the feeling of walking down a street full of houses, it's a really interesting twist to a normally very boring area of a shop. The other thing I like is the paying counter which has been designed like an old traditional sweet shop with the display of old sweet jars on the wall behind and what looks like old fashioned tills on the counter in front, it reminds me of the sweet shop I used to go to as a child and I'm not that old!

The old traditional sweet shop pay counter.

I also like how the quirky decor helps to identify the different sections of the shop like when your in the men's section there is more of a masculine decor by using items from a boys childhood where as in the homeware section reclaimed home furniture has been used as display units like the group of upcycled picture frames that have items hanging inside them. 

It's a very nostalgic place, everywhere you look there is something that catches your eye and reminds you of the things you may have experienced as child which makes it a really fun shopping experience. If you love the idea of upcycled and reclaimed furniture then this is a great place to go for inspiration. All the shops in the chain have been done out in the same style and it would be fun to see how each store differs in their use of different objects as display units.  

I have to admit that after being blow away by all the decor I didn't really get the chance to look at all the products being sold but next time I am in Nottingham I will definitely be going back to have a look again and you never know I might actually get to buy something!  


No comments:

Post a Comment